Friday, May 14, 2010

The Story of Spaces

The geography taught to us in school tells us that India's geographical area is 3287263 skm. I am counting the parts occupied by Pakisthan in a war that we supposedly 'won'. Discounting that might put me as an anti-national and I certainly dont want to be that in 'India Shining'. The census data and my aproximation puts out population to around 125 crores. Again excuse me for not being too hep to be using millions and billions way of counting. When we were growing up, we were not Americans.
So keeping that in mind we have a space of around 2600 sqm for each individual. Wow !! And we thought India was over crowded !! I know.. I know .. forests and rivers and roads and factories and farms leave only a certain portion to be residential and yes it is indeed over crowded at places. I could see the scorn on peoples faces, specially the ones in Mumbai.
I began my house hunting in Kolkata on the same premise...wrong one which I soon realised. The day I land in Kolkata, I have this huge burden to find a place because my company is stupid enough to shift me in the middle of the month and tell me that I can afford only 7 days hotel stay. Yeah rite, they pay me enough to pay a full month's rent in Patna and then again a full month's rent in Kolkata for the same month. The problem is that they pay me only that much.Thats another story though. I just get sentimental whenever I remember my pay.
Day one, I go to a broker who pockets 1K just for showing me flats ad shows me 5 crapy flats. Then he has none and stops answering my calls. Before that, he showed his fellings of contempt towards me for not wanting to rent a flat that had a big fungus infected, rotten egged smelling drain as a morning view. The drain was so big that I suspected I could see the sun rising out of it.
Frantic calls to few more brokers and I am filled with optimism and promises of "land where thou shalt rest".
I go on a spree, and see god knows how many of these sick, demented landlords with a sadistic, condescending, you are a poor bastard with no home look. I tried to give them a your place sucks look back but I dont think that any house owner ever expects and accepts that.
Me : So any restrictions on your part
LL1: No nothing ( you have to live the way I tell you coz its my home you loser). Just that you have to get your car out at 6am and park it in before 9 pm.
Me : But 6 is too early and so is 9 !! ( u stupid bong, u dont have a life, i do !!)
LL1: Then dont get the car ( huh... thinks he can argue with me, standing on "My Land")

Me: Your flat looks great, Wots the rent ?( God !! please let it be reasonable)
LL2: 18 K plus maintanence
Me: Puff !! hmm ... eerrmmm... let me see some more.

Me: I am still single, is that okay with you ?
LL3: You will have to get married in 6 months time or you will have to vacate.
Me: (WTF !!! Sure why dont u go ahead and select the girl too!!!) he he .. (and another long lame smile)

LL4: You cannot drink, smoke, get a girl in the house, come late at night, have friends for parties.
Me: Oh let me think about it. ( are you kidding me !! i dont like any of those stuff at all ... i am planning to go to himalayas and become a sanyasi)

This goes on for a day before I have to go to Bhubneshwar for another space hunting. We have to "discover" a new warehouse for the company because the current landlord want to revise his rate from Rs 5 psft to Rs. 15 psft !! God !! this country needs land reforms and of course a regulator on property prices.
So there I am hunting for another piece of space in a place which suddenly has shown amazing appetite for it. Bhubnehswar devours a piece of land like ambrosia.
And before I get to know the dynamics there is our tranporter with a request to raise his trip costs from Rs 150 to Rs 200/-.
Me: This is too much even considering the price increase. It is close to 34%.
Tptr: But sir, my costs have gone up and food prices have gone up and everything has gone up.
Me: But the prices havent gone up by 34% !! How much did you pay your driver and how much are you paying now ?
Tptr: Its gone up from 3000 to 3500.
Me: So thats only 17% increase. And how much has petrol prices gone up ?
Tptr: From 42 to 48 sir.
Me: So that is 14% increase, why do u want such a sharp increase ?
Tptr: Sir 17%+14% is 31% increase .. I am asking close to that.
Me: ( When will you realise to that logic doesnt work on all people)

Logic doesnt work on all people, specially the ones who have a "space" in their life. ( Pun Intended)

3 comments:

  1. haven't read the complete blog but could not stop my self from writing this comment...

    "When we were growing up, we were not Americans"
    lol brother.. loved this comment... so fuckin true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one buddy... enjoyed reading it...

    ReplyDelete